Through Hull

Anything Related to the Humminbird 800 Series SI
cchunter22

Through Hull

Postby cchunter22 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Looking for pro and con in installing a transducer to shoot through the hull. I am installing a 898 SI and will interlink with a 797 Si on trolling motor also have 898 installed on transom for side image. Will the down image be greatly reduced by through the hull and is it hard to switch from SI to down image with this setup?
Any information about what works and what does not work is needed.
May the Lord bless all men.

WhompusFinder

Postby WhompusFinder » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:26 am

I going out on a limb here but I would imagine there will be no down image si if that whats you mean by down image. Only traditional sonar works on through hull. The DI relies on the SI, not the traditional down sonar
Are you wishin you were fishin? Not me......

Humminbird_Greg

Postby Humminbird_Greg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:42 pm

That’s a good strong limb that you are on there Whompus. We’ve tested installing the Si transducer inside-the-hull and it did not give good results at all. Lots of signal loss as well as other problems. So I’m like you and think that there would be little to no Di (Down Imaging) sonar if this was done. Now the conventional downwards points “2D” sonar will work just fine. With a good installation I doubt that you would notice any signal loss (although there will be).

Now if you were asking about installing a 2D transducer inside-the-hull (like the XP-9-20) than I would recommend that you get the AS-Si-DB-Y cable as this will connect up both the 2D and HDSi transducers to the 898 unit. The Si and water temp would come from the HDSi transducer and the 2D sonar would always come from the inside-the-hull DualBeam XP-9-20 transducer – no switching involved here.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

cchunter22

Postby cchunter22 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:14 pm

Thank you for the great information. Will stay with the transom mount only.

WhompusFinder

Postby WhompusFinder » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:29 am

Sidenote: I have SI on my trolling motor and it works great if you keep in mind the movement of the trolling motor due to turning. Love SI on trolling motor
Are you wishin you were fishin? Not me......

bwilliams

Postby bwilliams » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:15 am

i am trying this on my skiff,waiting on the big brown truck to bring it...

http://store.humminbird.com/products/313999/XFM_9_20

i will try to remember to update..

i have tried mounting the transom mount everywhere on my Carolina Skiff DLV,it just will not work at speed,works great idling or slow trolling.. :(

cchunter22

Postby cchunter22 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:11 pm

I bought one that installs through the hull. It is installedin a Nitro 750, it is near the transom. BP installed it and said they set it over so it will not disrupt the water flow toward the motor.

Humminbird_Greg

Postby Humminbird_Greg » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:46 am

cchunter22,
Is this an inside-the-hull transducer or one that actually mounts through a hole in the hull?
Greg Walters at Humminbird

gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

I help because I can

Return to “899, 898c SI”