View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 798 trolling moter mount tranducer 

I'm getting ready to order a trolling motor mount tranducer for my 798 I see that there are two styles one is the puck style the other looks more like a transome mount with a bracket for mounting on a trolling motor. Is either better than the other. I will be putting it on a varible speed minn kota Hoping to stay away from interference.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:58 am

With a variable speed TM, you will be better off with the puck style XTM 9 SI 180 T since it has some internal shielding and doen't take any extra hardware to mount it (just a hose clamp).

The HDSI transducer has the most internal shielding and may be necessary if RF interterence is an issue.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:57 pm

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:36 am

A friend of mine used his variable speed TM with the puck style tranducer yesterday the interference was horrable. Will there be any interference with the HDSI tranducer.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:23 am

RF interference is a random occurrence and the frequency is can be any range.
You will only know if you get it when you do the install.
Some get it and resolve it and some get it and never do resolve it until they get another motor or have their's rebuilt.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:43 am

Good morning...I'm Jason's friend and I do indeed have issues. Yesterday, I started removing the transducer from my TM, starting with simply the puck itself. In the end, until I cut all the zip straps and moved the Transducer cable completely away from the entire TM shaft, I saw tons of interference.

Disappointed to say the least...not sure what else to try, as I've already made sure the power comes from the starting battery, and the power supply for the TM is routed on the left side of the boat and for the 798, it is on the right.

Got about $1300 wrapped into this unit...and can't use it like I want to. What's next? :cry:

Matt

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:13 am

I understand your frustration. I am in the same boat but with slightly different problems although related. I like you have taken all the advice and have installed my unit correctly but find it useless except for mapping. Humminbird is sending another head unit hopefully this week. I have one more troubleshooting tip to perform tonite and if these two thingd don't work then I will be switching gears and looking for refunds. Good luck

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks...not sure about all the "external grounding" work that they suggest. I'm putting together a message for tech support at Hbird, as we speak. Let's see what else they might suggest...not too hopeful, after researching this whole subject...

Matt

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:41 am

The simple answer is fix your motor. There is nothing wrong with the sonar unit.
I may have some suggestions, but you haven't stated what motor you have on what craft.
Basically your motor is "broadcasting" (RF) on the frequencies that the 798 uses.

You can contact Humminbird Customer Service, they have suggestions to help you resolve the RF issue. They will need to know what motor you have and all your connections.

There is no simple answer, the RF issue is random in occurrance, frequency range, and severity. There are many solutions that may or may not work. A friend of mine had to get his Motor Guide Tour edition rebuilt to fix his with a Lowrance HDS unit.
It took several months of trial and error to get rid of it with my two Motor Guide Tour motors.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 am

Minnkota Maxxum 80, foot controlled trolling motor...brand new...can't see how it needs "fixed", but OK....

2006 Evinrude E-tec 90 is the main motor, powering a '95 Alumacraft Competitor 165...if that makes a difference.

For my recent tests, I powered the unit directly from a 800 CCA jump pack to ensure it had noting to do with my batteries, or wiring. Made no difference.

I appreciate your taking the time to comment, Wayne. Thanks, and I'll also include this info in my communications with Humminbird.

Matt

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:57 am

HazmatIA, what Wayne has been telling you is correct. Try the steps that the Humminbird Customer Resource tell you to take. Your problem may get fixed with the first thing that you try and than again you may go through all of the steps that they have and be referred to the Engineers.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:44 pm
Profile WWW

I do appreciate all the assistance. I still need to figure out how to get to the noise filter settings on this unit, but that needs to wait til I'm home to actually check it out. I assume I need to press menu, before I hit exit to go in to normal op's mode?

I'll try that first, as it's simplest.

The only other thing the lady told me was to check under the cover of the TM for a blown fuse...but this doesn't have US2, so I don't believe it has that fuse. I'm also a bit concerned about removing the cover from a unit still under warranty. Guess I'll have to take the chance...

As for her suggestion to separate the cables as much as possible? Not sure what she meant as I had explained power for TM was already on opposite side of boat from that for 798...if she's telling me I cannot attache the transducer cable to the TM shaft...I might just as well give up right now.

Anyway...noise filter first.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Are you talking about setting the Noise Filter menu without the unit on your boat? I guess I’m a little stumped with your statement: “I assume I need to press menu, before I hit exit to go in to normal op's mode?”
The Noise Filter menu should be under the Sonar menu tab in the main tabbed menu system. Make sure that you are using the “Advanced” menu setting for the User Mode menu (found under the Set-up menu tab in the main tabbed menu system) or the Noise Filter menu will not be listed.

Separating the cables is more of a generic troubleshooting tip. Along with separating the power cables you should also try and separate the transducer cable from the trolling motor and its wiring as much as you can. This includes not running the transducer cable tied to the trolling motor control and power cables (used to be my favorite way to run them for a neater installation). When the transducer cable comes off of the top of the trolling motor; try and run it away from the trolling motor as much as you can. Be sure and store the excess transducer wire not just away from the trolling motor and it’s wiring but by using the Storing Excess Cable section shown in the installation guide.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

If I understand all the suggestions, I need to get the unit into "advanced" mode in order to set the noise filter...that's the part that has me stumped, but I can't really say much til I'm home to try it again. It's on the boat, in the garage...I just have to figure out how to get to ADVANCED mode. That's why I can't find the noise filter. Will this setting change if power is disconnected?

I will keep the transducer cable off the TM cables, except for below the head...not as neat, but if that's what it takes, so be it. It simply HAS to be strapped to the shaft...seemed like the gal I spoke to at HBird support didn't understand that part. Can't let it drag in the water behind the boat... :wink:

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:03 pm

To set the unit to "Advanced" go to the Settings tab and change the "User Mode" from"Normal" to "Advanced".

For the transducer cable, after your run the cable up the shaft, attach it to the mount bracket and then to the deck (just don't run the cable along the steering/power between the foot pedal and motor head.

If you use the unit power button to turn the unit off, your last settings will be saved.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next