View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Navionics Platinum Map 

Are the Navionics Platinum Maps worth the money for the Humminbird 798 HD SI or should I just get the Primium. I like the idea of the 3d bottom display but I read that you need to have at least a 998 model before the platinium is of benifit to you.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 pm

3d is not supported on the 798 I know that much

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks - I have not bought the unit yet and your reply spur me to do more research.

Humminbird.com says that the 798 HD SI displays a 3D Chart view but the Navionics compatablity martrix does not list the 798 as compatable with the Platinum map. I had to print out the compatablity chart before my old eyes could read it. I will save my money and go with the Premium map.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Lakemaster is expanding quickly now that Johnson Outdoors has bought them. Even if they don't cover your lakes right now, it might be worth waiting a little unless you are in a big hurry.
Lakemaster has some features that are better than Navionics.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:06 pm

I have not bought my sonar yet but I have the wife's okay, so I am looking.
I have a buddy with a 798 Si and I like it. I currently have a Lowrance 125 (480x480 grey scale sonar.)
I have a jon boat but I also use my sonar when fishing on several friend's boats.
I am in Dallas, TX.
I have no experience with maps but I am looking at Navonics Premium because their Southern United States map gives me more states. I know I want more that what comes on the basic GPS.
I think I would like the Lake Master but I think is is only for the states of Oklahoma and Texas in my area.
What does the LakeMaster buy me that is not on the Navionics Premium?

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Can not go wrong with any of the SI units, the larger the screen the better. I have a 1197 and would purchase a larger screen if they had one.

I have both Navionics Platinum and the Lakemaster cards for Texas/Oklahoma. Personally I have been running the Lakemaster since receiving it. It is cheaper and since I live on Lake Eufaula which depth varies 10 ft, LakeMaster allows me to adjust the charts to the current water levels.

If you are looking at Lakemaster make sure you check which lakes are covered, the list of lakes covered is not as extensive as Navionics.

You may want to go to youtube and review Navionics and Lakemaster, there is some good information about both mapping systems.

George

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Humminbird.com says that the 798 HD SI displays a 3D Chart view

This is what Humminbird means by 3d chart view. It is just a first person view of the chart. They do not mean you can view Navionics 3d features.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:13 pm

Post 3D
That is called the Birds Eye View.
It is also the setting used to view the 3D Platinum maps on the 800, 900 , and 1100 series units.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:44 am

You Tube has some pretty good videos on Navionics 3D view, this will clearly show what it is.

I have the Platinum plus card and only looked at it out of curiosity.

George

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:42 am

yea I meant the 3d bottom view is not supported with the 798. Sorry. You still get the 3d birds-eye view for navigational use. Which in itself is an awesome feature, especially at night.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks everyone. I am honing in on what I can afford and what I want to buy. I have pretty much settled onthe 798 si HD. with the Navionics Premium map. I would get the Lakemaster but I thought my lake was on it and after more research, it is not on Lakemaster. I submitted my request and maybe they will add it. Now I will just wait until closer to spring tto spend the money, unless I find a deal that is to good to pass up. I'll buy it early enough to get use to it before the spring fishing starts and to give me time to resolve any issues.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:03 pm

While you are waiting, you might want to download and review Doug Vahrenberg's seminar videos. The videos really give good information on how to set up and run an HB unit. He is using an 1197, but the concepts fit all of the units. Scroll down the page review parts 1 through 9, the other videos are good but these are the best.

I have been using my HB unit for 2 years and his videos are going to help me reset my unit.

--> http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/Videos.html <--

George

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks everyone for your resonses. Now I am just waiting for about mid February to buy a 798. That will be when I hope to be hitting the water regularly and learning how to use it. In the mean time, I will be reviewing blogs, forums and videos getting use to what to expect.

One thing that I still don't understand. On the 798ci at 640 x 640 resolutions. There are some units listed as HD and some that don't indicate HD. I thought that the 640 x 640 resolution would be what made a unit HD or not. The 798ci units not listed as HD seem to be selling for just over $700. The units listed as HD seem to be listed for $850 to $1150.

What qualifies a sonar as HD?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Post HD
Adding HD to the model number of the 2011 year model does two things:
It promotes the highest pixel count 5" screens in the industry and it designates that model is the 2011 year model that is Ethernet capable.
I has no meaning for anything extra in unit performance other than the HD version has LED backlighting as opposed to the former CCFL backlighting.
The 798c SI and 798ci SI are discontinued models, that is why you see the lower prices on those.
The 798ci HD SI is the current model.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:36 pm

nlester wrote:
One thing that I still don't understand. On the 798ci at 640 x 640 resolutions. There are some units listed as HD and some that don't indicate HD. I thought that the 640 x 640 resolution would be what made a unit HD or not. The 798ci units not listed as HD seem to be selling for just over $700. The units listed as HD seem to be listed for $850 to $1150.

What qualifies a sonar as HD?

The model without the HD designation is the 2010 and older model of the 798.

In 2011 HB introduced the HD model. This is just a marketing identifier to distinguish the 2 models.
They have the same screen resolution .
The HD model has an ethernet port that the previous model doesn't have.....this could be very important if you plan to ever get a 2nd unit.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next