Purchase Helix 10 SI GPS

All things Helix!!
Deathwronger1

Purchase Helix 10 SI GPS

Post by Deathwronger1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:30 pm

I would love some advise and opinions. I am planning on purchasing the Helix 10 SI GPS. I am interested in knowing recommended set ups for the unit. I have called Hummingbird twice for advise but have only received generic assistance from someone who I do not think fishes. I would like to have a front bow/trolling motor graph and a rear graph. I currently have a Lowrance rear mounted transducer hooked up to a dash mount Lowrance. I currently have a trolling motor mounted transducer hooked up to a Lowrance bow mount graph. I look for fish/areas with my dash mount while scouting, and spend most of my time fishing using the bow mount graph with the transducer installed on the bottom of the trolling motor. I fish inland lakes in WI. I was hoping to use the SI while up front using the trolling motor and having the convenience of a front mounted graph. Hummingbird told me to buy the Helix 10 set up, and also purchase the Helix 9 set up. Install the 10 transducer on the rear of the boat, no other transducer, and Link the 10 to the 9 and keep the 9 on the bow. It was explained to me by Hummingbird that the 9 would read the info from the 10 transducer. That is I would be able to view the SI from the front bow while using the trolling motor, but the image would be from the back transducer. The 9 does not have as good a display as the 10(less pixels). I was trying to decide what would work best? Do what they recommended? Does the SI work better on trolling motor mount so you can change the direction the transducer points? Buy the 10 now and install just the 10 and fish from the back of the boat using the long cord that came with the front trolling motor? Install the 9 using a trolling motor transducer mount and have two separate unlinked graphs? Buy 2 10's? Cost prohibitive? Anyone selling a used 10? Is the display of the 9 vs the 10 that much different? I would like to make a decision soon and purchase the units now and install them during our down season which starts within a month or two. Your advice and opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks you. Tony

Wayne P.

Re: Purchase Helix 10 SI GPS

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:49 pm

I have four Humminbird Side Imaging units, I want my data where I am on the boat, not a boat length away.

I have a Side Imaging transducer on my trolling motor and a 360 on my trolling motor.

Side Imaging has to scan to create the picture like images. If you want a full screen sharp image with a trolling motor mounted SI transducer, just keep the motor pointed straight ahead for a full screen update. I have done it thousands of times. When fishing it does not make any difference what the whole screen looks like, the most recent data is at the top of the display, the rest is history.
Set up properly you won't even notice you turn the motor since the scroll speed would be too slow to record the motor turning--just takes practice.
You cannot just turn the motor 90 degrees and leave it that way to get an image, the Imaging pulses have to scan.

While you can save some cost by purchasing a non-SI unit and share SI from another unit, I do not prefer to do it that way.
The Helix 9 and Helix 10 have the exact same size cabinet, just the display size is different.

You asked too many questions in one post !!!!!! There is no simple answer that can cover it all.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

Deathwronger1

Post by Deathwronger1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks Wayne,
Do you think I should buy two 10's, 2 9's, or 1 10 and 1 9?
I am wondering how much better the 10 display is rather than the 9 and is it worth it?
I am considering installing the 10 on the rear boat transom with the display on the dash, and the 9 transducer on the trolling motor with a trolling motor mounted transducer and the display in the bow of the boat.
Thanks,
Tony

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:16 am

The 10 has a 1.1" larger display measured diagonally. It has about 3,000 more pixels per square inch.

The physical size is the same for both.

The 10 SI model comes with the transom HDSI transducer and the 9 SI model comes with the transom Compact SI transducer.

The Compact SI transom transducer is not recommended for a trolling motor attachment, there is a trolling motor puck version that has extra internal shielding to help with possible RFI from the trolling motor. XTM 9 SI 180 T.

The HDSI has the extra shielding and can be use at the transom or trolling motor. The XTM 9 HDSI 180 T has a 5' shorter cable than the transom XHS 9 HDSI 180 T.

Since the HDSI has longer SI crystals, it produces sharper images. Most exchange the Compact SI transom transducer for the HDSI to get the better images no matter which SI model they get that comes with the Compact SI.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

Deathwronger1

Post by Deathwronger1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks Wayne!

Deathwronger1

Post by Deathwronger1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:23 pm

BTW, I've decided to buy two 10's and network them.

sfw1960

Post by sfw1960 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Deathwronger1 wrote:BTW, I've decided to buy two 10's and network them.

Good choice... :D
Bringer Of The 'Bird.....

Deathwronger1

Post by Deathwronger1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:49 am

Woohoo!. I have the two Helix 10's installed and networked. One at the steering console, and one next to the front trolling motor. I also purchased Autochart Pro(Which comes with a Zero Lines SD card) and Smartstrike Lake Master Card.
I have two Helix 10's and each unit has 2 card slots open for a total of 4 card slots open.
I was thinking Zero Lines SD card and Smartstrike SD card on the dash unit.
Should I put in a blank SD card on the trolling motor Helix 10 for waypoint and tracks and other misc storage items?
I would like to start out right rather than make mistakes and correct later.
Thank you!
Tony